SNGF - Unique Ancestral Name  

Posted by Abba-Dad in , , , , , ,

Once again a fun genea-challenge from Randy Seaver:

What is the most unique, strangest or funniest combination of given name and last name in your ancestry? Not in your database - in your ancestry.

Well, I don't have any unique ancestral names. My pedigree is full of Sarahs, Jacobs, Abrahams, Moshes and so on. You could say that my great-grandfather Ze'ev Arieh Kielczewski is an unusual name since in English it mean Wolf Lion Kielczewski (in Yiddish it is Wolf Leib).

So as usual I turn to my wife's side and since she has mostly Irish and English ancestry, nothing jumped at me right away. But there is one name that is unique in another way.

My wife's third great-grandmother was Sarah Whitehead Battle CARTER Tuggle (1820-1883). Her middle names are unique but that's only part of the story. She was the daughter of Sarah Whitehead BATTLE Carter who was the daughter of Sarah WHITEHEAD Battle. So that's three generations of women all named Sarah who kept their surnames as middle names.

Sarah Whitehead Battle Carter married Pinckney Jackson Tuggle and they lived (and died) in Greene County, Georgia. They are buried together in historic Oakland Cemetery in Atlanta, Georgia, and did not want to be buried in the Greene County family cemetery on William Tuggle plantation. I found their grave site and added them to find-a-grave:


This entry was posted on Saturday, October 24, 2009 at 11:50 PM and is filed under , , , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

1 comments

Anonymous  

My husband's great, great, great grandmother was Sarah Whitehead Battle who married Christopher Carter. My husband descends from their son, Jesse Mercer Carter (brother to your wife's ancestor) who married Kate Courtney. Here's a link to my database with information.http://kbaumantreehouse.name/getperson.php?personID=I6274&tree=keithandkay

November 27, 2009 at 9:12 PM

Post a Comment