My 16 Great-Great-Grands  

Posted by Abba-Dad in , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

I have to thank Randy Seaver for his challenging Saturday night fun posts that help me get out of my genea-blogging slumps. This time around he asks us to:

1) List your 16 great-great-grandparents in pedigree chart order. List their birth and death years and places.

2) Figure out the dominant ethnicity or nationality of each of them.

3) Calculate your ancestral ethnicity or nationality by adding them up for the 16 - 6.25% for each (obviously, this is approximate).

4) If you don't know all 16 of your great-great-grandparents, then do it for the last full generation you have.

5) Write your own blog post, or make a comment on Facebook or in this post.


I followed Randy's advice and grabbed my info from a RM4 Ahnentafel list:

1. Avraham Benjamin KIELCZEWSKI: b.? m.? died bef 1 Jun 1918. POLAND

2. Zywa Golda KRUG: b.? m.? died bef 1 Jun 1918. POLAND

3. Haim Shmuel KALMANIEWSKI: b.? m.? d.? POLAND

4. ???: b.? m.? d.? POLAND


5. Shlomo SMORGONSKI: born abt 1836. m.? d.? POLAND

6. Hanna Minka ?: b.? m.? d.? POLAND

7. Jacob SEGALCHIK: b.? m.? d.? POLAND

8. Ita ?: b.? m.? d.? POLAND


9. Jacob Yitzhak DOMBEK: b.? m.? d.? POLAND

10. Sarah Rachel KARPIK: born abt 1861 in Sterdyn, Sokolow, Lublin, Poland. m.? died abt 1941 in Sterdyn, Sokolow, Lublin, Poland. POLAND

11. Avram KREPLAK: b.? married 1874 in Kosow Lacki, Poland. d.? POLAND

12. Dobe JABLONKA: b.? married 1874 in Kosow Lacki, Poland. d.? POLAND


13. Aaron ZINBERG: b.? m.? d.? RUSSIAN EMPIRE

14. Sarah ?: b.? m.? d.? RUSSIAN EMPIRE

15. Joseph BENDITOVICH: b.? m.? d.? RUSSIAN EMPIRE

16. Miriam ?: b.? m.? d.? RUSSIAN EMPIRE


Hmmm. I have a lot of work to do. For starters, I know I have looked for all of these ancestors on JewishGen, but those databases are far from being complete. My next task should be to get some microfilm from the LDS, but how is that really going to help me? I can't read Russian or Polish or Latin or whatever language any of these records will be in. If they even exist.

At least I can pretty firmly say that I am 75%/25% Polish-Russian, which I have known pretty much all my life. And as I have written here before, the next generation after this one had a 75%/25% split for those who perished in the Holocaust. Yes, the entire Polish side. It's a good thing my grandfather fled to Russia.

So, does anyone have suggestions how I should go about filling in all these question marks?

This entry was posted on Sunday, August 9, 2009 at 9:09 AM and is filed under , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

9 comments

I stumbled upon this post of yours from some time ago and thought I'd leave a message. I am also researching my family in Kosow Lacki, Wegrow, Skibniew-Podawce, and Sterdyn. I have recently had a great deal of success locating indexed entries for these individuals in the JRI-Poland database. In multiple instances, this allowed me to order LDS microfilms of birth, marriage, and death records. I do not read Russian, Polish, or Latin either, but have been quite successful picking out the appropriate handwritten records. I have since uploaded the records to JewishGen's ViewMate and had assistance extracting the key content from the records. Did you make progress with these individuals since your original post? Hope this helps!

June 23, 2010 at 3:10 PM
Blog_Commenting_Service  

Really appreciate this post. It’s hard to sort the good from the bad sometimes, but I think you’ve nailed it!I gathered some good points here. I would like to thank you with the efforts you have made in crafting this great article.


watch shameless online

June 19, 2011 at 1:32 PM

I haven’t checked in here for some time because I thought it was obtaining boring, but the last few posts are genuinely good quality so I guess I’ll add you back to my day-to-day bloglist. You deserve it my friend. insurance guides… mens breeches

August 14, 2012 at 7:09 AM

I can not participate now in discussion - there is no free time. But I will return - I will necessarily write that I think on this question.

August 14, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Really appreciate this post. It’s hard to sort the good from the bad sometimes, but I think you’ve nailed it!I gathered some good points here. I would like to thank you with the efforts you have made in crafting this great article.

September 10, 2012 at 2:36 AM

If Windows 8 succeeds, Apple loses the most. Already, the iPhone is falling further and further behind Android. Alot of Android's momentum is attributed to versatility- many styles of phones, at a range of prices, are built on Android. The Chinese scrutiny of Google's Motorola purchase, signals that the Chinese are heavily invested in Android. If Apple hopes that the iPad may be a bigger driver of growth, a successful Windows 8 will blunt that.

September 15, 2012 at 3:55 AM

Apple now has Rhapsody as an app, which is a great start, but it is currently hampered by the inability to store locally on your iPod, and has a dismal 64kbps bit rate. Indian Mens traditional sherwani

January 16, 2013 at 5:37 AM

I can’t remember the last time I enjoyed an article as a lot as this one. You have gone beyond my expectations on this subject and I agree together with your points. You’ve done nicely with this…. Blazers

January 16, 2013 at 5:40 AM

I have been here reading for about an hour. Useful information like this one must be kept and maintained so I will put this one on my bookmark.

September 3, 2015 at 2:47 AM

Post a Comment