Miriam's Directories Website  

Posted by Abba-Dad in , , ,

I mentioned in my last post how much City Directories have been helpful in my research and wanted to point my readers to a new site from Miriam Robbins Midkiff:

Online City, County, and Rural Directories Website

This new site has set a lofty goal to have a complete listing for city, county, rural, business, and other types of directories for the United States and Canada, and then go on to add directories for other countries. The navigation is very easy and you can quickly get to what you are looking for. Since this is a work in progress you need to check back and see what's been added recently.

Of course, there have been a lot of directories added lately to Ancestry.com and Footnote.com, but those are pay sites and they are not complete anyway. Here's an example:

I know my wife's Hytowitz line arrived in the US around 1880, but since there is no 1890 census I have a huge gap until I find them in the 1910 Census. I have tried everything I can think of to find them in the 1900 Census, but with no luck so far. Looking through the Pittsburgh City Direcotries on Footnote is extremely frustrating. But on Miriam's site I found the links to Eve and Don which are so easy to browse through.

Anyway, check out the site and Miriam, if you need any help, let me know!

This entry was posted on Saturday, August 1, 2009 at 10:13 PM and is filed under , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

1 comments

Thanks for the kind words, Amir!

Yes, I always appreciate help, in the form of letting me know of your favorite online directories. Please send me the links, and I'll add them as quickly as I can to my site!

Also, I have a corresponding blog here which gives notifications of updates and new pages.

August 2, 2009 at 1:56 AM

Post a Comment