I asked for your help but nobody commented. So I had to come up with my own checklist. Here is what I am going to do when researching online:
1) First thing I need to do is figure out all the spelling variations. And the best method I came up with is to go to MyHeritage and use the MegaDex search tool that lists out all the possible spelling options for last names. Here's an easy one:
Here's a more detailed one:
I am obviously not going through all these alternate spellings, but at least I know where to look if I hit a dead end.
2) Paid Subscriptions. These are sites I have annual subscriptions and I will check them first for premium content. Obviously there are a lot of things I can look for in each one that don't overlap:
- MyHeritage.com - They really have an outstanding research engine that goes through almost 1400 sites simultaneously. It's not always accurate but it will take you in directions you don't always expect.
- JewishGen.org - A lot of this content is now available on Ancestry.com but I still like the simplicity of the site.
- FamilyHistory.org - I can still find some amazing nuggets here. I've been using the pilot site with great results lately and I can't wait for them to start digitizing everything.
- General Google search - I'm still waiting for my "Google Your Family Tree" - Where is it?!?
- Any other Google tools i will about from the book. Where is it?!?