Avraham Kilchevsky / Abraham Kielczewski  

Posted by Abba-Dad in , , , ,

I've been working with Jose Gutstein who maintains the excellent Radzilow.com site in the past few weeks to try to find some of my ancestors in the region. I really have very little information to go on as far as my father's paternal side is concerned. Almost no documentation and very few photographs.

One of the things I have uncovered so far is a name of my grandfather's aunt, Leah Kielczewski, born about 1877 as well as the full name of my 2nd-great-grandmother, Zywa Golda Kielczewski (nee Krug). All I knew about her previously was that her name was Golda.

Another interesting thing to notice is the spelling change from Kielczewski to Kilchevsky. According to "Jewish Family Names and Their Origins: An Etymological Dictionary" (By Heinrich Walter Guggenheimer, Eva H. Guggenheimer, Published by KTAV Publishing House, Inc., 1992, ISBN 0881252972, 9780881252972, 882 pages) the name comes from one of the villages Kielczew (Siedlce, Kalisz):



By the way, I highly kind of (see UPDATE below) recommend this book for anyone doing Jewish Genealogy. You can view it on Google Books here.

UPDATE: One of the comments I got about my recommendation lead me to use Alexander Beider's books rather than Guggenheimer's. The only problem is that when I go to Google Books, only 2 of 9 books have a snippet view available and all others are not available. The nearest library holding these books is at UGA which is 65 miles away. So for now I'll just have to make do with what I can.

Jose added a beautiful page to his site with some information about my grandfather. Please go check it out here.

Thanks Jose!

This entry was posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 at 4:45 PM and is filed under , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

4 comments

שלום אברהם קילצבסקי
גם ההורים שלי מרדזילןב
radzilow
אנחנו גרים ברמת גן

שלום יואל

December 12, 2008 at 7:53 AM

Shalom Yoel,

Please send me an e-mail to adekel (at) bellsouth (dot) net. I would love to hear some more from you about your family. My grandfather also lived in Ramat-Gan, so the families may have known each other.

December 12, 2008 at 9:57 AM

Hi, Amir,
I have to disagree with your assessment of the Guggenheimer book. It has so many errors I don't know where to begin. Beider's books are the scholarly choice for most Jewish genealogists.

But, for starters, look at DARDASHTI, a name I know rather well. No one who speaks Farsi or knows anything about Persian Jews would put such a ridiculous meaning to the name as Guggenheimer has done.

DARDASHT was a very well-known ancient Jewish neighborhood in Isfahan. DAR means door or gate, DASHT means plains or fields. It was at the edge of town, thus the way to the fields. It has nothing to do with a speaker of Dari, which is the Afghan dialect of Farsi. The compiler even got the Dari name wrong and calls it Dard (erroneously termed a speaker of Dari). DARD in Farsi means pain.
I first saw this book at the YIVO library in New York City. As always, I check my own names in new books. This one was good for hearty laugh over the DARDASHTI entry. Many Jewish genealogists feel the same way about the above book.

Schelly Talalay Dardashti
tracingthetribe.blogspot.com

December 13, 2008 at 2:16 PM

Thanks Schelly! I am still a newbie genealogy and your comment and expertise are greatly appreciated. I get most of my education from this way :-)

December 17, 2008 at 8:47 PM

Post a Comment