Smile for the Camera  

Posted by Abba-Dad in , ,

Submitted for the 6th edition of the Smile for the Camera blog carnival. Theme: Funny Bone.

I guess it's blog carnival post day today. I really enjoy all the different genea-blogs about photos and so I decided to submit my entry as well. The instructions said to "Show us that picture that never fails to bring a smile to your face! An amusing incident, a funny face, an unusual situation. Share!"

I think I have a winner here with this photo taken at the most critical moment of my Brit:



As the Rabbi leans over for the delivery of a most precision cut, my paternal grandfather, Avraham Kilchevsky, just can't bare to watch. The look on his face is priceless. It's an amazing blend of extreme happiness, some sadness, pain and sheer terror.

You see, I was his first grandchild. The first of nine to come after me. He was a very religious man who went to synagogue and prayed every day, so this was a big deal for him. He and his sister, Sarah, were the only ones from their family who survived the holocaust, so this was the continuation of our family.

You can just stare at this picture and feel all these emotions he is experiencing at the exact moment the shutter snapped.

But you can also look at this picture and laugh every time. Which is pretty much what I do.

This entry was posted on Thursday, October 2, 2008 at 6:13 PM and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

5 comments

I'd say that's a winner. I love it.

October 3, 2008 at 6:14 PM

Priceless! :-D

October 5, 2008 at 8:47 AM

What a great photo and such a great memory to share with your children as they learn of their great-grandfather!

October 13, 2008 at 12:30 AM
Anonymous  

I first laughed. Then I read your story and saw every emotion you described in his eyes. Incredible! What a great picture and survival story.

October 14, 2008 at 11:19 AM

This is a picture! Wow!

Msteri

October 15, 2008 at 1:25 AM

Post a Comment