Genea-Bloggers Group Games - Update  

Posted by Abba-Dad in ,

I haven't kept up with updates about my progress. Shame! So here goes:

1. Go Back and Cite Your Sources!

50 Citations - Platinum Medal

I knew this would be easy because I had almost 1000 people in my tree and almost no sources. Most of what I entered was from personal interviews with immediate family, but a lot has come from census data and other sources. I probably made a slight dent in the amount of sources I need to add, but I am going to get there. One of the features I like about RootsMagic is the Memorize/Paste option for source citations. If I find a source that has either multiple people or several facts I can easily copy it over and not have to do much else. So 50 citations was pretty trivial.


2. Back Up Your Data!

This is definitely an important task. Let's see where I stand:

A. Prepare a comprehensive backup plan for your digital research files and a security plan for your hard copies and photos - Working on it.

B. Secure your hard copies and photos in waterproof containers - Hmmm. I haven't even thought about doing that.

C. Backup all your data using a flash drive, an external drive, CDs, DVDs, or an online resource - Doing this as we speak!

D. Have all your hard copies and photos scanned and secure them either in a fire-proof safe or offsite in a safety-deposit box/secure environment - I don't think this is going to happen anytime soon, although I realize how important it is. I am in the process of scanning everything, but I doubt it will end up in an offsite secure environment.

E. All your data is backed up digitally and secured physically and you can recover from any disaster while losing only one month or less worth of research - Digitally yes, physically no (see D).

Complete Task C - Gold Medal - I will definitely be here at the end of the games.


3. Organize Your Research!

Complete five or more tasks - Platinum Medal - I have done everything but F. I'll work on that.


4. Write, Write, Write!

A. Write a summary of what your blog is about and post it on your blog – you may not have done this since you started the blog and it is a great way to have new readers learn more about your site. - This was my first post, July 29th, 2008.

B. Participate in a genealogy or family history related blog carnival. See the AnceStories post "August Is..." for a list of these carnivals and their submission URLs and deadlines. - I was going to do this, but the topics didn't really spark any memories. I will see if something comes up by the deadline.

C. Prepare several posts in draft mode (if possible with your blog platform) and pre-publish. - I'm not sure I understand what this means. I usually blog my findings and the excitement comes through. I can't recall a single post I have made (on any of my blogs) that was drafted and pre-published.

D. Write a brief biographical sketch on one of your ancestors. - Done. And I plan a few others by the time the games are over.

E. Sign up to host a future carnival: - I am such a newbie and I am not even sure what you need to do to host on of these things. I might volunteer to host the Carnival of Central and Eastern European Genealogy. We'll see.

Complete any two tasks - Silver Medal - Achieved!
Complete any three tasks - Gold Medal - Possible?
Complete any four tasks - Diamond Medal - Possible?


5. Reach Out & Perform Genealogical Acts of Kindness!

A. Comment on a new (to you) genea-blog. - Pretty much every day.

B. Join another genea-blogger’s blog network on Facebook Blog Networks. - Multi-done.

C. Invite other genealogists to join Facebook. - Tough one. I don't know many non-blogging genealogists. But since I have added several links in posts, I guess I kind of qualify? I'll take it.

D. Assist another researcher with a research request or lookup. - I am definitely going to do this. One of the things I can do is translate from Hebrew, so let me know if there's a need. But I will go through the entire list and see what else I can do. So many people have been commenting and leaving me valuable tips and I have to start paying back.

E. Participate in an indexing project. - That one might be tough, but I will try to get there.

F. Join a genealogical, historical, heritage or lineage society. - I am planning to join two: I am thinking about joining the Georgia Genealogical Society but I am definitely joining the Jewish Genealogical Society of Georgia.

Complete any four tasks - Diamond Medal - Done!
Complete five or more tasks - Platinum Medal - Hope to get there!


So that's it so far. Here's the final tally:
2 Platinum
1 Diamond
1 Gold
1 Silver

This entry was posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 at 11:19 PM and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment