One World Tree  

Posted by Abba-Dad in ,

How much faith can I put in One World Tree sources?

I ask this because tonight I found out that my wife's family tree dates all the way back to the BC-to-AD switch and beyond. I went back to the yellow legal pad her father scribbled some information on and found her great-grandmother was a Tuggle. When I started doing some research on that family I quickly found myself going down a long winding path back to London, then Denmark and eventually Ancient Troy and Jesus era Jerusalem. I found all kinds of "Princess of the Vandals" and Olaf "The Mighty" along the way as well.

The thing that initially struck me as odd was that the further I went, the more trees were linked to these names. At certain points I had over 300 trees linking to the same data. I understand that the further up the tree I go the more people are likely to converge and cite the same sources. But this is ridiculous.

How do you use this resource? Is it worthwhile? Should I flag it as 'questionable'?

This entry was posted on Saturday, August 9, 2008 at 2:08 AM and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

1 comments

Amir, there is a well-known quote in the genealogical world: "Genealogy without sources is mythology."

Even if you have researched all your information carefully and have the documents to "prove" it, if you don't list your sources with your information when you publish it or post it online, it must still be considered mythology.

Good sources allow another family historian to retrace your steps through the same documents.

I encourage you to read Evidence Explained: Citing History Sources from Artifacts to Cyberspace by Elizabeth Shown Mills. A great website that discusses the genealogical research process is Mark Tucker's Think Genealogy.

August 9, 2008 at 1:01 PM

Post a Comment